Zervas Heart Health Week is February 11-15. Walk to school, play basketball, eat a new vegetable, write it on the heart and deliver it to school the week of Feb 11-15. Heart Template is here and will come home in the home-school folders.
GETTING TO SCHOOL
WALK Walking is the best way to get to school! Kids love to walk, especially with friends, and it gives them time to wake-up, socialize and expend a little energy so they arrive at school ready to learn. Walking home is a great way to wind down. We encourage all families to walk whenever possible. Zervas is designed as a walkable school.
BIKE Biking is another great way to get to school! Children in grades K through 3 should bike with an adult. There are bike racks by the front door of the school and at the back playground. The Newton Police will host bike safety training for Zervas 5th graders this fall and for 4th graders next spring so they can bike to school without a parent.
BUS School buses help reduce traffic! If you live more than a mile from school you may be eligible for bus service. Go to the Newton Public Schools transportation website for more information and Zervas bus schedules.
CAR Parking is extremely limited. Drivers must use the Blue Zone (a “live” drop-off/pick-up zone) or park legally on the street. If you choose to drive, please read this guide and review the map carefully.
SCHOOL ZONE SAFETY
- Slow down, hang up, and be patient!
- Kids must always use the crosswalk even with an adult!
- Never drop off or pick up from a traffic lane or a No Parking or No Standing area – only from the Blue Zone or a legal parking space. There are no parking spaces in front of the Blue Zone.
- Beethoven Ave is Do Not Enter at drop-off and pick-up headed north. Stay on the east side of the street to allow for emergency vehicles.
- No turning in driveways — kids are running down the sidewalk that you are crossing!
- If the Blue Zone is full you cannot wait for spaces to open – it creates dangerous gridlock. Either circle the block or park legally.
- Don’t back up to exit the Blue Zone – a child might step off the curb behind you!
- Park legally. Observe all signs.
- Do not enter the school bus loop or staff parking lot on Beacon St.
- Never block (or park within 5ft. of, or park in) a private driveway.
- Never pass a school bus with flashing red lights! It’s the law.
There is no fee for students in Grades K-5 to ride the bus. Parents must still apply for their child to ride the bus. See the Newton Public Schools Transportation website for answers to your questions. Zervas Bus Routes for 2018-2019 Bus Application for 2018-2019
Why Walk? Lots of Zervas families walk! Walking boosts a sense of community and improves neighborhood connections. Students arrive ready to learn, healthy, awake and alert, with better focus and concentration, which can improve academic performance. [see article] Increased daily physical activity forms healthy habits that can last a lifetime, helping children build strong bones, … Continue reading Walking
WHAT IS A BLUE ZONE? Most Newton schools are located in residential neighborhoods that simply cannot accommodate a large number of cars. Since most students live close enough to walk to our neighborhood elementary schools, families are urged to walk whenever possible. However, some level of vehicle traffic is inevitable, and “Blue Zones” provide a … Continue reading Driving
Welcome to our neighborhood school! Heart Health Week is February 11-15. Heart Template here. Thanksgiving Walk to School, Friday, November 16, 2018. Feather Template is here. 2015-2018 International Walk to School Day, Friday, October 6, 2017. Join children from around the world in walking to school. Thanksgiving Walk to School Day, Friday, November 17. Decorate a … Continue reading Events