Zervas Heart Health Week is back for 2020! Print this template, have your child decorate the heart and write something they do that is healthy, then bring the hearts to school the week of February 10 to hang in the lobby.
GETTING TO SCHOOL
WALK Walking is the best way to get to school! Kids love to walk, especially with friends, and it gives them time to wake-up, socialize and expend a little energy so they arrive at school ready to learn. Walking home is a great way to wind down. We encourage all families to walk whenever possible. Zervas is designed as a walkable school.
BIKE Biking is another great way to get to school! Children in grades K through 3 should bike with an adult. There are bike racks by the front door of the school and at the back playground. The Newton Police will host bike safety training for Zervas 5th graders again this year.
CAR Parking is extremely limited. Drivers must use the Blue Zone (a “live” drop-off/pick-up zone) or park legally on the street. If you choose to drive, please read this guide and review the map carefully.
SCHOOL ZONE SAFETY
- Slow down, hang up, and be patient!
- Kids must always use the crosswalk even with an adult!
- Never drop off or pick up from a traffic lane or a No Parking or No Standing area – only from the Blue Zone or a legal parking space. There are no parking spaces in front of the Blue Zone.
- Beethoven Ave is Do Not Enter at drop-off and pick-up headed north. Stay on the east side of the street to allow for emergency vehicles.
- No turning in driveways — kids are running down the sidewalk that you are crossing!
- If the Blue Zone is full you cannot wait for spaces to open – it creates dangerous gridlock. Either circle the block or park legally.
- Don’t back up to exit the Blue Zone – a child might step off the curb behind you!
- Park legally. Observe all signs.
- Do not enter the school bus loop or staff parking lot on Beacon St.
- Never block (or park within 5ft. of, or park in) a private driveway.
- Never pass a school bus with flashing red lights! It’s the law.
There is no fee for students in Grades K-5 to ride the bus. Parents must still apply for their child to ride the bus. Zervas has two local buses, a Boston bus, and numerous vans. See the Newton Public Schools Transportation website for answers to your questions. Zervas Bus Routes for 2019-20 Bus Application & Information
Why Walk? Lots of Zervas families walk! Walking boosts a sense of community and improves neighborhood connections. Students arrive ready to learn, healthy, awake and alert, with better focus and concentration, which can improve academic performance. [see article] Increased daily physical activity forms healthy habits that can last a lifetime, helping children build strong bones, … Continue reading Walking
PARK & WALK For families who are not able to walk, bike, or take the bus, find a legal parking spot on a nearby street and walk over to school. Please observe all posted signs, and never park in or block a private driveway. It is often better to park a short distance away from … Continue reading Driving
Welcome to our neighborhood school! International Walk to School Day. Celebrate with children from around the world and walk, bike or roll to school on Friday, October 4. Stay for the parent coffee. Prior Years Heart Health Week is February 11-15, 2019. Heart Template here. Thanksgiving Walk to School, Friday, November 16, 2018. Feather Template is … Continue reading Events