WHAT IS A BLUE ZONE?
Most Newton schools are located in residential neighborhoods that simply cannot accommodate a large number of cars. Since most students live close enough to walk to our neighborhood elementary schools, families are urged to walk whenever possible. However, some level of vehicle traffic is inevitable, and “Blue Zones” provide a safer and more efficient way for families to drop off and pick up students by car. A “Blue Zone” is an area designated by the City of Newton for the live drop-off and pick-up of students during restricted times. These areas are marked by blue curbs and signs.
City of Newton Ordinance #19-179: No person shall park a vehicle upon any street within a school drop–off zone except while engaged in dropping off or picking up passengers, which shall not be permitted for a period of time longer than one minute. Parking a motor vehicle in a restricted zone is illegal and is punishable by a fine of $25.
BLUE ZONE RESTRICTED TIMES
Pick-Up: 11:30am-1:00pm (Tuesdays) and 2:00pm-3:30pm (M/W/Th/F)
BLUE ZONE BASICS
- The Blue Zone is a “live” drop–off/pick–up line. Drivers must stay in their cars, ready to move forward. Cars may only remain in the Blue Zone long enough for a child to enter/exit the car.
- Children must be able to buckle/unbuckle their seatbelts and open/close car doors by themselves in the Blue Zone. If you need to get out of the car to operate the doors or seatbelts, please park in a legal spot.
- There is no “waiting” in the Blue Zone. You must exit the Blue Zone after picking up or dropping off your child.
- The Blue Zone isn’t for everyone. If the Blue Zone regulations don’t work for you or your child, please make plans to walk to school or to park in a legal spot and walk to the building.
Children in Kindergarten and 1st grade are dismissed directly to caregivers who must walk, bike or park legally to get them at the Zervas door.
IN THE MORNING
- Be sure your children have everything they need (backpack, lunch, etc.) and are ready to get out of the car before you enter the Blue Zone.
- When you pull into the Blue Zone please pull forward as far as possible. Children may only exit the vehicle in the front three spaces of the Blue Zone.
- Drivers MAY NOT get out of the car.
- Children MUST use the door on the sidewalk side of the car, NEVER the traffic side.
- After your child gets out of the car, pull forward and exit the Blue Zone. When you wait, you prevent other parents from entering and exiting the Blue Zone, making drop-off less safe and more frustrating for everyone.
- If the Blue Zone feels too rushed please walk, bike, or park legally and walk your child to the school entrance.
IN THE AFTERNOON
- Indicate by 11:30 a.m. in the online School Dismissal Manager that your child will be dismissed to the Blue Zone.
- Plan to arrive at 3:05 p.m. (or 12:35 p.m.). The Blue Zone works best when cars arrive after students are dismissed. If you are late, your child will go to the office to wait for you.
- Pull in behind the last car in line, and be ready to move forward as the line moves.
- Children wait at the top of the large Blue Zone with Zervas staff. Your child will be sent to you when your car approaches the front of the line. Do not get out of your car – they will come to you.
- Once your child is in the car and buckled, please pull forward and exit the Blue Zone.
- If your child is not yet outside you must pull out of the Blue Zone and circle the block.
IF YOU NEED TO PARK
If you need to park, you must park in a legal spot on the street. Please observe all posted signs, and never park in or block a private driveway. It is often better to park a short distance away from the school and walk. Note that Beethoven is one-way headed north during pick-up and drop-off hours.
There is no parking, waiting, or turning in the bus loop or in the Staff Lot on Beacon St. There is no longer parking after the Blue Zone on Beethoven Ave or on Beacon St. in front of the school. DO NOT DROP YOUR CHILD OFF ANYWHERE ALONG SCHOOL PROPERTY EXCEPT IN THE FIRST THREE SPACES OF THE BLUE ZONE.