- Lots of Zervas families walk! Walking boosts a sense of community and improves neighborhood connections.
- Students arrive ready to learn, healthy, awake and alert, with better focus and concentration, which can improve academic performance. [see article]
- Increased daily physical activity forms healthy habits that can last a lifetime, helping children build strong bones, muscles and joints.
- It’s fun! Walking brings a sense of joy and independence to children.
The new Zervas Elementary is designed to be a walkable school!
- Stoplight at Beacon & Beethoven is updated to the latest technology.
- New ADA compliant crossings and pedestrian signal alerts allow ALL children and families to walk safely to school.
- No right turn on red in any direction so children are safe from turning cars.
- Wider landing pad on the school corner.
- Timing on the light is adjustable so children have enough time to fully cross the street at drop-off/pick-up times.
- PATH that connects from Cold Spring Park to the sidewalk along the front of the school, allowing easy access for Newton Highlands families to walk to school through the woods.
- Buses and staff vehicles access the school from Beacon Street so do not cross the paths of children.
- Zervas continues to have dedicated crossing guards at
- Crosswalk at Woodward & Beethoven
- Stoplight at Beacon & Beethoven
Please click here to address obstacles that are keeping your child from walking to school.